Saturday 5 February 2011

'Room' - Emma Donahue

Book Review: 'The Room.' Nominated for the Booker Prize 2010
I've just finished reading this book so thought i'd recommend because it was really very impressive.

Overall I enjoyed the story, but I wasn't quite as taken with it as other people, it wasn't a page turner for me personally. I much prefer those unanswered questions when your imagination can run wild and I like to read a book in a number of sittings so that I can put it down and have a think about what direction it could go in.

I admired the innovative narrative style, I credit the author enormously for her writing from the stance of the young Boy Jack. I have no idea how she managed to get into the head of a young boy! Amazing, almost too good, she probably articulated a child's thoughts about the world he/she sees better than even a child could in fact.

Again, as with reviews I am hesitant to expand too much into the narrative because the beauty of the read is in the unknown,this is particularly prevalent in the first half.
The book opens and the scene is murky, we are seeing life from the eyes of a 5 year old boy, Jack. His Mum seems to be his only living companion but then 'Old Nick' is introduced slowly. Who is this man? Is he Jack's father, a friend? Is he good or a danger...? You are left with a number of questions as to where the story will go.

Conversely, I actually enjoyed the second half of the book as opposed to the first where I was constantly trying to second guess the story, the characters and the premise. I am sure the majority of readers probably preferred the first half, the not knowing, the mystery.

I highly recommend this book and will definitely encourage my friends to read, my Mum for one adored the book so I imagine it being a compelling read for pretty much anyone.
I will be keeping my eyes peeled for further Emma Donahue books to See where she goes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment